FOODS THAT YOU SHOULD NOT FEED YOUR PET
Chocolate - Chocolate is toxic to cats and dogs. In large quantities they can induce coma or, in some cases, death. Usually, chocolate leaves your beloved, furry animal with diarrahea or a host of other gastrointestinal problems. Theobromine, a chemical found in chocolate, is toxic to both cats and dogs. Although your pet may love the taste of chocolate, don't let that fool you as it could lead to serious consequences.
Grapes and Raisins - Another example of how humans are different from cats and dogs. Both grapes and raisins are toxic to cats and dogs and even in small amounts, can cause kidney damage. Avoid foods that contain even trace amounts of grapes or raisins, such as desert foods or baked goods.
Avocados - these can cause diarrhea, vomiting and stomach pains in dogs.
Garlic and Onions - both, in any form, are toxic to cats and dogs because of the sulfoxides and disulfides found in them. These chemicals can damage red blood cells and lead to anemia. Foods that have been cooked with garlic or onions should not be fed to your cat or dog.
Macadamia Nuts - can cause diarrhea, lethargy, vomiting and muscle tremors or stiffness in dogs.
Mushrooms - there are a number of mushroom species that are toxic to dogs, which if ingested, could lead to death. Even mushrooms that grow in the backyard may be lethal to your dog.
Tomatoes - cats are particularly sensitive to tomatoes. Eating just a little could cause all sorts of gastrointestinal problems. Avoid feeding them, or any foods that contain them, to your cat.
Chicken Bones - are technically not toxic to either cats or dogs, but should be avoided nonetheless as they can get stuck in the roof of the mouth, throat and intestines.
Milk and Dairy - according to studies, approximately 50% of dogs are lactose intolerant. Avoid feeding your dog milk products as it could lead to severe diarrhea.
Xylitol - a sugar substitute, found in candy, chewable vitamins, sugarless baked goods, and sugarless gum can be lethal for a dog. Within 30 minutes of consuming a small amount of product containing xylitol, dogs may experience a drastic drop in blood sugar, followed by vomiting and lethargy. Some have seizures or experience internal hemorrhaging, lesions and liver failure. As few as two or three sticks of xylitol gum could kill a 20-pound dog.
Other foods to avoid include raw potatoes, especially those containing green spots; turkey skin; nutmeg; and anything with caffeine, including tea. Alcohol should also be avoided as alcohol poisoning can lead to coma and death in both cats and dogs.
If your dog or cat shows signs of sickness with symptoms such as bloody stools or vomiting, take them to a veterinarian right away. Most forms of food poisoning can be safely cured if addressed early enough.